Monday, September 24, 2007

Sick Bay

I have had a few emails inquring when the next installment will be...

Sorry, I have been wiped out by a bad cold the last few days. On Thursday, a lovely hacking cough took hold in my body, followed by all the fun symptoms of sore throat, runny nose, and fever. Yesterday I remembered we had a doctor on campus, so I visited him and learned I have a throat infection. Whatever he gave me knocked me out, although I do have a vague recollection of teaching yesterday...

I hope to be back in blog-fashion tomorrow...

I have stories to tell--one I will tell you about a little now and then come back to it.

We were discussing all the benefits and consequences of the so-called Neolithic Revolution, i.e. that process in which pre-historic humans discovered/invented agriculture (don't yawn--it is important if you think about it) and I asked, "what are some other new trends that came from farming?" And one of my young scholars offered, "Plastic Surgery!"

Well. See--there are still some original answers to be found!

Tonight His Majesty is coming for iftar. I did not get placed at his table, but, I am only a few feet away!

I'll be in better form tomorrow to relay the beauties and nuances andt struggles of teaching.

5 comments:

Me and My Son said...

Feel better soon. You have a birthday to celebrate. :)

Steph

powellsa74 said...

It's tough being sick in a new place...where to go, what to take!
Feel better soon:)
Sarah

meg said...

Dearest Mr. John,
I have read you entries with great joy and curiosity. You entertain, instruct, inspire and enthrall. I will never, ever stop being amazed by you. Ramadan Kareem to you. You should publish this blog some day.

With love and unending admiration, Meg

P.S. Feel better

meg said...

Dearest Mr. John,
I have read you entries with great joy and curiosity. You entertain, instruct, inspire and enthrall. I will never, ever stop being amazed by you. Ramadan Kareem to you. You should publish this blog some day.

With love and unending admiration, Meg

P.S. Feel better

John said...

Thank you, thank you Stephanie, Sarah, and Meg--the cold is nearly gone, and I can get back to the blog! People were very helpful with the cold this week--giving me lozenges, oatmeal, their version of cold medicine, but it was almost a week-long cold of feeling drowsy and under-the-weather. Someone suggested it was the change in weather--hmmm...every single day for 8 weeks it has been sunny, warm, cloudless, rainless, and at least 85 degrees--where's the change??

Having messages from you guys has been such a supportive thing in these 8 weeks of being abroad.
Thanks, and much love,

John