Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Rarely does this happen…

I had an email from a friend on Sunday inquiring about my blog posting that morning and my rapture about Facebook, asking, “So are you addicted to ‘Twitter’ yet?” I replied that I have not gone onto Twitter yet, nor did I expect to be “tweeting” anytime soon…

Why not?

Each ‘tweet’ can only be 140 characters! Have you read any of my blog postings??? Brevity is not my forte! I try and contain my thoughts and musings and ramblings and reflections and observations and sermons to three pages!! I don’t think I could endure the challenge that is the haiku style that works for Twitter…if you have read any of the blog postings in the last 25 months you definitely know I am rarely at a loss for words.

But yesterday morning I woke up bright and early and checked email, received some tragic news, and words failed me.

By now, if you are part of the Hackley community you have received news of the unexpected death of Ron DelMoro, head of the Lower School at Hackley, and one of the great lions of education.

I remember interviewing Ron for the Lower School position sometime in 2001 or 2002 and immediately I was struck by his love of children, and his absolute faith and commitment to education. Over the years I taught his sons, one in AP Art History and the younger in my class in a 9th grade course at Hackley. Ron and his family were remarkable pillars of the community, participating in everything, never ruffling feathers, simply a fine tribute to learning and kindness and hard work.

I got this email at the start of the day, and naturally the news dogged me all day. I wanted to email the family and extend my sympathies, and like anyone else, who knew what to say? I have lost a parent so I have understanding of that loss. But words just didn’t come immediately.

As the day went on, I thought back to a figure in history that I had encountered once, a man named John Chrysotom who lived in 4th century Rome, a time of tumult and change. His name ‘Chrysotom’ was actually a nickname by admirers, and it means “golden-mouthed” because of his eloquent sermons.

This guy popped into my head as I reflected on this wonderful educator which the world lost far too soon. Ron was not a sermonizer actually, like John Chrysotom, although he was a fine speaker. But Ron was “golden-mouthed” in how he spoke to people. He had that marvelous gift of being able to speak to many constituencies: parents, administrators, board members, and yes, children. People felt safer in the world because they knew Ron DelMoro. He did not condescend and he did not sugarcoat. He was a leader, a man of empathy and patience, and always a sharp educator.

John Chrysotom was not simply an orator—his writings are still powerful. Here is one Chrysotom’s insights on the value of friends: “Such is friendship, that through it we love places and seasons; for as flowers drop their sweet leaves on the ground around them, so friends impart favor even to the places where they dwell. With friends even poverty is pleasant….It would be better for us that the sun were exhausted than that we should be without friends.”

Surely I could not imagine a time in Ron’s life that he would have ever been without friends. The manner in which he dealt with people at school made you feel you were his great friend. I never saw Ron ‘socially,’ i.e. we never went out to dinner or a ballgame, but I felt the power of his support as a teacher, and his enveloping spirit and warmth made you feel you were his friend. As I watched Ron over the years, not only was he an uncommon administrator, but each relationship I witnessed of Ron’s was characterized by trust, understanding and encouragement. How difficult school life would have been without the nourishment of Ron’s friendship and advice at Hackley.

The ancient voice of Chrysotom and the witness of Ron’s life are reminders of the need to nurture the friendships God has given us.

Here is another petition from that ancient Chrysotom:

Since I have no gold to give,
And love alone must make amends,
My daily prayer is while I live—
“God make me worthy of my friends.”


Amen. God make me worthy of being Ron’s friend. Thank you, Ron, for your example.

Peace.

3 comments:

Me and My Son said...

john, I am so sorry for your loss.

Suzy Sunshine said...

Ahhhh...Thank you, John! I am so blessed to call YOU my friend. This is a wonderful tribute to Ron. Our hearts are broken, but we will soldier on in his memory to spread happiness and joy! Miss you....Sue

John said...

Thank you Stephanie and Sue, it is hard being so far away, but this whole internet thing can connect in some kind of way. Please know Sue I am thinking of you all as you start the year soon at Hackley.