Saturday, November 16, 2013

Is The Week Chasing Me, or Am I Chasing The Week??

 
 



A month ago today, while in New York, I visited the much- ballyhooed Magritte exhibition this fall at the Museum of Modern Art. Magritte is a witty artist, sometimes seen as a “lightweight” in the art world, but like most of his fans, I enjoy his assault on the complacencies of common sense. As I read the entrance text to the exhibit, I hastily wrote down on my MoMA map some of the commentary written about Magritte: “He sought to de-familiarize the familiar and make everyday objects shriek aloud.” (Question to self: Now is it okay to throw away the familiar map since I finally wrote down the words???)  As I walked through the exhibit, seeing many of his iconic images, discovering some new (to me) works, I was struck by how Magritte spent so much of his artistic time warning us against trusting the images and words we think we see and know. Hmmm…is Magritte offering us a cautionary note for the Internet age? Anyway, I came upon his 1928 painting, The Titanic Days (seen above, right there!) and of course I loved the cryptic title, and I thought this is more than just a clever painting about what’s real and what’s not real. The painting is a depiction of a nude woman being groped by manly arms in suit sleeves, yet the man isn’t a separate figure: he appears almost to be clothing that the woman is taking off or putting on. This isn’t a joke-y painting like his Ceci n’est pas une pipe painting—there is some anguish in her face. The painting, and whatever is happening, has consequences.

In many ways, this past week felt like I was caught in a Magritte painting! There is the one where a steam locomotive is blithely coming out of a nice ordinary fireplace. No, that’s not it. But I felt sort of chasing things, chasing the week actually. Advisor reports were due at the beginning of the week (the third of the big writing assignments of the last six weeks, the first being the comments for every student, then the annual parade of college recommendations that must be submitted) and I had been asked to teach class for the headmaster (he thought it would be nice if I did an overview of 5,000 years of propaganda; that is a nice idea, it just takes a little time…) and then there are classes to teach and the professional development seminars to run…it just felt a little more chase-y than usual. Then the try-outs for the Harvard Model Congress came up, and I needed to judge the candidates. Then I needed to write my final exam.  Then the first glances at the piles of resumes for next year’s teachers. Not too much, just a chase-y, chase-y, week—and everything has consequences!

So on Thursday,  just before I was going to sit and wait for some students to take some practice essays,  I pilfered from our library a copy of my favorite magazine, The Week (don’t worry, I returned the magazine after the little invigilating session!). I love The Week; however, it never arrives in Jordan anywhere near the week it chronicled. The sub-heading of this weekly magazine, kind of an intelligent Reader’s Digest, reads: “the best of the U.S. and international media.” The best part of the magazine is when it takes a subject and provides 6-10 perspectives on the same topic. If it covers the default crisis, let’s say, it provides perhaps a dozen perspectives on it. [As a tangent, I learned that Justice Antonin Scalia doesn’t like to get ‘get upset’ in the morning, so he only reads news from sources with which he agrees…what I love about The Week is that it offers exposure to a wide variety of views.]

Anyway, it is Thursday afternoon (our ‘Friday afternoon’ for the Sun-Th work week world), and I want to relax, watch a few students write an essay, and then relax after chasing my week. So I page through the ‘U.S. at a glance…’ section of The Week and am struck at the ridiculous stories going on (remember, this is a month-old issue in the U.S. but hot off the slow-boat-to-China-presses here).

First of all there was the gun massacre at a Navy facility in Washington—what a strange Magritte-like moment. But far weirder was the cannibal plot in Worcester, MA of a man who was sentenced to jail for plotting to kidnap, kill and eat a child. His basement was outfitted with all such equipment, but his lawyer argued that his basement was merely a “theater for fantasies.” Next I read about the boardwalk fire in New Jersey wiping out all or parts of 68 businesses, starting in a store that sells candles. Then I read about the Miss America pageant and the racist insults hurled on Twitter about the new Miss America. She is Indian-American and many on-line called her “Miss 9/11” and “Miss Terrorist.” Historic floods battered Colorado. In Florida a robber stole a cash drawer from a church gift shop, but was caught when his baggy pants slipped down around his ankles.  Then there is a shooting tragedy in Charlotte, shooting an unarmed car accident victim…I paged over to the section on the “Best Columns: U.S.” and read about various rural counties in Maryland, Nebraska, Colorado, Kansas, and Michigan that want to secede from the United States. This was the U.S. at a glance, but whoa, when people are worried about ME in the Middle East, I suggest they just take a look at the U.S. at a glance.

By Thursday, either the week had caught me or I had caught the week: I had finished every assignment on time, and enjoyed that satisfying glow of a week of items crossed off the all-mighty, guilt-producing To Do List. We had a speaker on Thursday, Mitch Kapor, an entrepreneur whose name I did not know previously. Julianne interviewed Mr. Kapor on our stage, and Julianne could now join the ranks of Diane Sawyer and Barbara Walters as a crack interviewer.

Kapor rose through the ranks of Silicon Valley, but what resonated the most with me was his explanations of why you don’t give up, and how you try and think of “the next big thing.” (Kapor invented Lotus 1-2-3, and when he was bought out, he had invented the Excel spread sheet.) He spoke about the genius of Facebook, but when a student lamented that he wished he (the boy) could have invented it (because of the money) Kapor suggested that he look for a problem that hasn’t been solved instead. “The way to strike it rich is not to think about the money, but scratch an itch that you have, a problem that you have that hasn’t been solved.” What a concise and great formula, almost Magritte-style in its simplicity and elegance. And it can have consequences.

He answered questions for nearly an hour, this man worth almost a billion dollars, who has failed in life, dusted himself off, risen again, risked, and then as he said, “I used my son’s time in high school to vicariously do it all over better this time.” Kapor had wonderful words about his high school math teacher. He said he (Mitch) was as socially inept as someone might be, but the most important thing that teacher did was “pay some attention to me.  I knew I mattered to him. Nothing else was as important or profound as that.”

The familiar—what we know—shrieking aloud with simple truths. While the week was chasing me, or, did you see this pun coming??? The Week was chasing me, it ended with the utterly simple and profound reminder to make sure we let people know they matter. As the down-to-earth, totally un-smug Kapor reminded us, nothing else is as important…

And it has consequences…

 

No comments: