Saturday, December 21, 2013

The Metropolitan Museum of Art as Diner... Hmm....The Imperial Diner as Museum

 


Last week when I arrived in the United States I went first to New York City. Some years I go there immediately upon my arrival in the USA and some years I go at the end of the winter break. But whenever I go, there are a few constants in my visit. One habit/custom/ritual/tradition is that I go to the Metropolitan Museum of Art every day. I know some of you wince or moan to think of going to an art museum every day, but as I explain it to people, for me going to the Met is actually like going to a diner.

I come from diner pilgrims. For years my mother made a pilgrimage to Frisch’s for her morning coffee and visit with the regulars. Obviously she could have eaten breakfast at home while her children readied themselves for school and quickly ate cereal. But there was something more in store for her at Frisch’s. Then about 20 years ago when my father retired from the Cincinnati Fire Department he began going to a diner for breakfast conversation. Somewhere in the 1990s he started going to the Imperial up the street for his chatfest and coffee. Yesterday, my first full day in Cincinnati for the 2013 Christmas break, I slid into the booth opposite my father for the morning habit/custom/ritual/tradition.

These daily visits to the Met in New York and the Imperial in Cincinnati are more alike than I realized.

When I go to the Met in New York every day, I go for maybe an hour, maybe an hour-and-half—that’s all! I go to check in, start the day, see some familiar things, soak in an atmosphere and plan that I know like the back of my hand, and then go about the business of the rest of the day. When my father goes to the Imperial six days a week (he takes Sundays off), he goes to check in with the regular denizens, officially starts his days, sees the familiar in an atmosphere and plan that he knows like the back of his weathered hand, and then goes about the business of the rest of his day. He is there for about the same amount of time that I am at the Met. Wow! The similarities…

But there is more than just a same old same old mundane routine in common. For starters, both visits offer a kind of sustenance.  Hmmm…the Met feeds the soul while the Imperial feeds the body (although, I hasten to add that Kurt, one of the regulars at the Imperial, reminds the buddies that “we sure don’t come here for the food!”).  But the parallels continue on into a more profound realm. Both spaces have a great deal of the “expected.”  For example, when I go to the Met, I always go and see at least one thing I know very well. My father knows exactly where every character will sit in the Imperial.  No one changes his “role” or his “place.”

So why does one go every day?? Is there something more we seek to find, or happen to find in making these daily stops?

Last week at the Met I visited two of the paintings I know extremely well. One is a Rembrandt and one is a Brueghel. These are paintings that have been in my consciousness for 20 years, and I have taught them, used them in tours at the Met, and reflected on them. And yet…in my visits last week, I caught something new about these old favorites.

Rembrandt’s Aristotle Contemplating the Bust of Homer is one of the art works I have talked about the most in the last 12 years of teaching art history.  Rembrandt has painted the philosopher Aristotle standing in darkness with light shining on his face, his sleeve, and his right hand. While his hand rests on a bust of Homer, his stares past it, projecting an introspective and melancholy wonder. This piece is my “diner philosophy” of the Met. I come by there all the time, and yet…and yet, might there be some new revelation? Last week as I looked at the familiar Rembrandt, I noticed for the first time that the philosophers' arms seemed like scales in a balance. This wasn’t a big surprise since the piece is one of contemplating avenues to pursue in life—teaching or wealth and fame.  But I had never really seen this familiar work in quite the same way. Were 'Aristotle’s' arms actually weighing the different paths in life like scales in a balance? After seeing this piece for so long, I loved how there was something still new to be gleaned from such a familiar piece.

On another day, another “diner visit” to the Met, I soaked in the familiar Brueghel painting of  The Harvesters. This is a piece that at first glance is about the silly average bumpkins in this Dutch society. But as I learned long ago, there is subtext to the Brueghel piece, biting commentary about contemporary politics in the Dutch world. But the other day I am staring at this familiar piece, standing in practically a well-worn groove for me in front of this painting, when I decide to look around in the painting a little more closely.  The bumpkins are all there,  yep,right in their places, but as I look in one of the trees on the side, I see something completely new to me! There in one of the trees is hiding a devilish boy, waiting for the perfect time to throw apples down on some unsuspecting denizens!  How have I been looking at this painting for so many years and missed this little gem of humor?! But this is exactly what I mean about the Met being like a diner for me…I go regularly, see the same faces (albeit ones of paint!) and yet, I keep going not just for the expected, but for the revelations, the epiphanies, the joy of the unexpected!

The Imperial is not unlike a museum—there are old faces in these booths, and like the Brueghel, they may come across like average bumpkins, but there is more than meets the eye. If, as Kurt attests, the food isn’t the draw (and yes, I can attest to it, the food is unremarkable in every way!) then what is the draw for these regulars who congregate six days a week at this diner??? We can make breakfast and coffee at home. But there is a camaraderie that attracts and binds. For this particular group of men it is a common bond of losing wives.

But I think there is still something more.  There is humor, there is learning, there is sharing, and yes, there are revelations and epiphanies at the Imperial. To continue with the Brueghel parallel, there is often political subtext as well…

Yesterday I was very aware of the human connections at the Imperial, and in a melancholy way, because of the absence of some of the humans. About a week ago, Dick Kitz, one of the regulars and among the most colorful canvases at the Imperial, died suddenly. He was in his late 80s, so maybe it is never exactly “sudden” then. This guy sat opposite my father in his booth for years. Dick never varied in his breakfast order—it was always the same: fried eggs hard, a stack of white bread, and a cauldron of steaming coffee. But each day Dick or my father would bring some problem to the table; some days they discussed electrical wiring, some days, concrete issues (i.e. cement), and on and on, the same old same old ritual of trying to solve some problem. But woven through their talks was humor: political humor, old man humor, and even more. It was as if these Brueghel-esque characters were weighing the choices they had made in life, seeking a little validation and approval for how they have lived their lives.

On our refrigerator at home hangs a sign that Dick once gave my father: “I can only please one person per daytoday is not your day. And tomorrow doesn’t look good either.” Dick Kitz was an ornery and eccentric man. He could also melt your heart with a laugh or a reminiscence of his beloved, late wife. He might also bake you a cake if he was in the mood. There was that joy of the unexpected with knowing Dick.

At his funeral, Dick’s daughter told my father that she was sure her father’s morning visits to the diner had prolonged his life. There had been a kind of psychic sustenance with the treks to “The Institution of Higher Learning” (as Dick dubbed the Imperial). The day or so after his funeral, my father told me that Dick’s son came and made the morning pilgrimage to the Imperial. When he left he paid for the breakfast of everyone in the Imperial.

Of course my visits to the New York daily haunt of the Met, and my visits to the Cincinnati daily haunt of the Imperial, do happen to be timed to the season of Advent. This is a season of theologically anticipating the birth of the Christ child. There are expectations tied to this season, and a trotting out of routines and customs and rituals and traditions. This is a season suffused with expectations, and that can often be part of the problem. We can “expect” the holiday to go a certain way, and often we might be let down, since the reality almost always will compromise our expectations.

But there is a strange convergence for me of the Met, the Imperial and Christmas. All three share some longing. In a word, in all three, we long for joy. I walk across the park, go into the massive structure on Fifth Avenue, lope up the grand staircase, and long for joy at seeing these examples of artistic triumph. Whether these men know it consciously, or not, they seek the Imperial diner on Glenmore Avenue every day because they long for joy, the joy of human connection and fulfillment. Might our joy be enhanced by opening our eyes to the familiar and seeing some of the surprises around us?

Advent is a wonderful opportunity to remind ourselves of expectations. In the midst of our familiar we must always be open to the joy of the unexpected, an important life-affirming sustenance.

No comments: