Saturday, October 5, 2013

Immeasurably More



Yesterday I turned 50 years old. I kind of whispered it at first, since it is somewhat hard to believe, but then since my boss, John Austin, yelled it out at a senior staff meeting on Thursday morning, and longtime colleague Fatina screamed it out in a History department gathering on Thursday afternoon, the cat is out of the bag anyway.

As some of you may know, and chuckle about, I haven’t always been entirely truthful with my age. When I was 23 I decided that I would age myself a few years so that I had a little more credibility in my first school. I thought if I came across as 26 or 27, then I would appear that I knew infinitely more than I did. Then when I moved to my third school in 1996, I thought, hmmm…let’s turn 30 all over again. People always act like that’s a fun decade to turn into, so let’s do it again! So I shaved a couple years off the actual age. As time went on, I had to keep straight in my head who thought I was what age…good heavens, what a ridiculous charade to maintain!

So, now that I have reached the half-century mark, I would rather someone think I looked all right for my age, instead of, “Oh, well, he looks fine for his mid-40s,” and I guess I just don’t care what people think if I know more than I do, or less than I do. Whatever I am, whoever I have become, whatever I know or do not know, it is simply the summative achievement of this particular moment in time. Oh, how very Zen I am at age 50…

Yesterday was one of those birthdays people wish for all the time—a day not at the workplace, a day that could actually be totally lazy and self-indulgent (meaning no grading of papers, no writing of college recommendations, no meetings, just a slowed-down, self-indulgent day…). My King’s Academy friend Lubna and I always go to the Dead Sea to celebrate her birthday (two weeks from yesterday) so I decided that we should go on my semi-centennial birthday. While lazing around in the spa I looked back at these other birthdays that mark the beginning of a new decade…very interesting the trip down memory lane. As I looked back, I realized I was kind of “king of the hill” for the beginning of the decade and then changes and unforeseen things happened in the journey. I know, I know, that is exactly what happens in life, but very interesting to look back at the beginnings of each of these decades.

10th birthday I spent my 10th birthday in a funeral home. I had looked forward to this birthday for the obvious reason that I would finally have two digits to call my own for an age! How would I feel to have two hands completed in numbers? I was this much closer to the teen years! And then my Aunt Ann Griley died. So here I was in the funeral home, moping around, not so much because my aunt had died fairly young (you don’t think of 46 as young when you are turning 10!) and my rambunctious cousins had lost their mother. No, I was disappointed that this was how I got to spend my 10th birthday. Wow. Childhood had kind of lead to this day, I assumed, and then I was stuck in a suit in a funeral home. My mother had arranged that I could go to my friend David Freeman’s house later on. His mother had made stuffed peppers. I didn’t like stuffed peppers. So she made me some hot dogs. So that was the birthday dinner the night I had two digits to claim as my age. Big whoop. Of course, who knew what lay ahead of me at that point. I hadn’t yet had Miss Wilson in 5th grade, the teacher who transformed my thinking. I hadn’t yet gone to Gamble Junior High and played in the orchestra, the band or sung in the choir. I hadn’t yet learned French. I hadn’t yet gone to Western Hills High School and discovered their music and theater programs, and the great friends I would make with those groups, no discovered Mrs. Michaels and Mrs. Schneider…I was excited to turn 10, but I had no idea what lay ahead of me as an adolescent.

20th birthday On this birthday, the day I left behind the childish dreams and notions of teenage-hood, I spent as a sophomore at Denison with all my cool college friends. We probably played “Tears For Fears” and “Men At Work” (and yes, probably “Air Supply”) on a stereo and hung out with our clique, our very independent, non-Greek clique of smart, mostly Ohio-public-school friends. This was the era of big glasses and Bill Cosby-esque sweaters. We had survived the freshman year with panache, and as sophomore year began, frankly, we were king-of-the, well something. We weren’t juniors or seniors, and we didn’t have cars, but we had already entered some junior and senior seminars due to our high school AP grades and our top performances in freshman year. I had joined the Denison Singers as a freshman (with a European tour, no less, the second of my not-yet-out-of-my-teens-life) and had decided that I would become a history professor. In fact, I plotted out my life, or the important stuff, you know, up to your 40s. I would be a history professor like my idol, Amy Gordon, start a family, teach at Denison and then assume the presidency of Denison in lovely Granville, Ohio. The same month that I turned 20, the current-president of Denison, Robert Good, a former ambassador to Zaire, announced that he had an inoperable brain tumor and would most likely die within the next year. The student body soon after surprised Dr. Good with a party, all 2000 of us in sweatshirts emblazoned with “The Good Years,” to celebrate his tenure and his life. In fact, he did die the next September, and I remember thinking in that year how he had packed a great deal into his 60 years, and that was a pretty good way to live life. But on the birthday, we were forever 20, excited about college experiences and our friendships. I had no idea yet that I would study abroad the next year, would accidentally miss my grad school deadline as a senior forcing me to re-think the plan to immediately  become a professor, that I would become a high-school teacher instead, move to the south, finally get on with graduate school at Brown, hate grad school so much that I knew I had to return to what I loved, the high school classroom, and direct plays. None of that would have made much sense at that long ago party on the west quad at Denison.

30th birthday   This birthday came in the middle of preparations for my most complicated and audacious play EVER—Noises Off.  So my life plan was a little off-track. I probably wasn’t going to be the president of Denison, but I owned a three-bedroom house on a quiet street, in a beautiful section of an up-and-coming metropolis. I had been at Charlotte Latin for three years, become unbelievably happy teaching AP Modern European History, directing plays for a school with a generous budget, and teaching students who were amazingly committed, brilliant and fun and kind. Noises Off  requires a two-story set that revolves and the structure was there by the birthday. The blocking was done. The cast worked like the finest Swiss watch! I taught students who loved being in class—I mean, can it get any better than this?? Is this what my 30s, heck, the rest of my life, would be like???? My sister had found the man of her dreams—hey, he loved me! She was planning a wedding to celebrate family and love. We celebrated my birthday on the set (I joked that the set of Noises Off was better decorated than my house—no joke actually, and then I made a sick joke to a friend after the success of this play. I said that I might as well kill myself since I couldn’t see how I could top myself!). Who knew that I would soon apply for the Klingenstein program in New York, get whisked off to a sabbatical in New York, bid a sad farewell to the brilliant Casey Brown, incur the wrath of headmaster Ned Fox, and look to move back to New York and start all over somewhere else, selling my house in under 48 hours. I remember wondering to Catherine Justice, “Maybe this has all been a fluke. Maybe I don’t know what I’m doing,” just a few weeks before I packed up the car and headed to Tarrytown, New York. You can see why I might have shaved a couple of years off the actual age…

40th birthday   By now, the age thing had become much like legendary entertainer Jack Benny—I would perpetually stay 39. But this birthday is celebrated with a surprise party in Manhattan at Christy’s house. My visionary-but-not-well-organized-friend Christy had planned a party with Hackley friends and other friends to celebrate my new decade. This was a quintessential 40th birthday—all of us at perhaps the “peak” of our careers, celebrating in an apartment on Central Park West, near all my favorite things in my favorite playground on earth—New York City. I raced out of Hackley School every Friday afternoon, escaping by way of Metro North into the City for a weekend of theater, camaraderie, art, good food, walking, laughing, music, church, and eventually heading back north those 18 miles for Sunday night planning for the next week. I headed home to Cincinnati several times a year for the important re-connections with my family. Ahhhh…could life get any sweeter? I felt intellectually challenged at Hackley and with New York at my feet, I directed several plays a year with marvelous actors, I worked with Chuck Edwards, my former student from Charlotte, and now an incredibly strong teacher and remarkable colleague…go ahead, let life continue…Who knew that soon there would be a trip of bad students that created bad feelings that set the stage for me to know I couldn’t stay at Hackley forever, forsaking the “gargoyle” I hoped to earn with 40 years of service.  Who knew a magazine article spied by the wondrous Anne Siviglia would lead to a dinner out at swanky Le Bernardin with Eric Widmer, an old friend of the Siviglias now founding a new school in Jordan. Who knew I would leave the hearkness table of my room, the exceptional students at Hackley, that I would bid adieu to Manhattan and come to the plains of the biblical kingdom of Moab?????

50th birthday   So here I am—at my semi-centennial, towards the end of this most self-indulgent blog, in the most self-indulgent media of our self-indulgent world. I teach a course I love, direct a play once in a while, live in a challenging place, sometimes lonely since it is not as full of people and activities as other chapters of my life. Doris Jackson, another angel of a friend, prophesied that I would find clarity in the desert. That is true. I help run the school, help develop the talent of teachers, and have learned an enormous amount from people around me about how schools work and how other groups in the world survive. In some ways, I feel successful. But it is always, or should be, always about more than whatever success means. Have I lived up to the talent and potential of when I turned 10 or turned 20? Have I internalized the integrity and sense of fair play and generosity and hard work that marks my father’s contribution to this earth? Have I imagined and executed things in the precise and enthusiastic way that my mother operated and contributed to this world?

So I chose a painting, a Chinese painting, the one at the top of the blog entry, to mark not only my 50th birthday, but how it feels at the turn of a new decade. This is a work by Song Dynasty painter Ma Yuan, called Mountain Path in the Spring. We see a scholar looking out at the world in front of him, rather obscured in the way Chinese artists loved, not sure what lies in front of him. There is a young charge near him, helping with the journey. The scholar sees a bird in flight beyond him, intersecting that activity with his contemplative stillness. I imagine he looks back in his mind at what the other decades have been like, but certainly in the misty stillness before him, even with his scholarly pedigree, he has no idea what still might lie ahead.

I suppose that is the beauty of it all and the risk of it all in this journey of life. Doris Jackson loves to send me devotion books, and yesterday, on that semi-centennial since my birth, the title of the day’s devotion was “Immeasurably More.”  The piece refers back to a passage in Ephesians where Paul thanks God for all He has done, “immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine.” My goodness, even Doris, in all her wisdom, couldn’t have guessed those perfect words would appear on my 50th birthday.

I talked to some of these people mentioned in the blog last night, the ones who have loved me and blessed me through these 50 years. I probably should have closed with the words of Paul, but since he got the title of the blog, I can’t resist going back to the final words of one of my favorite TV shows of all time (you didn’t think I would have a blog entry about my entire life and not mention a TV show, did you???????!)

The Wonder Years ended its run the year I turned 30. I loved the words then, and I showed this clip at a drama banquet in May, 1993. But the words are even better now, with a half-century under my belt:

“Growing up happens in a heartbeat. One day you're in diapers; next day you're gone. But the memories of childhood stay with you for the long haul. I remember a place...a town...a house like a lot of other houses... A yard like a lot of other yards...on a street like a lot of other streets. And the thing is...after all these years, I still look back...with wonder.”

 


No comments: